Derik Lynch delivers a postcard to the Queen from the students at the Ntaria School.
NAMATJIRA LONDON TOUR NOVEMBER 2013
NATIONAL PRODUCER – BIG HART and lead London based producer for the tour.
In November the stage show was performed in London at the Southbank Centre alongside the Australia exhibition at the Royal Academy for the Arts. The Royal Family were lucky enough to meet Lenie & Kevin Namatjira, Albert Namatjira’s grandchildren who performed in the play in London.
The Namatjira project has many layers, including:
- A touring theatre show
- An accompanying watercolour exhibition
- A community development process involving ongoing work with Western Aranda communities, particularly in Alice Springs and Ntaria (Hermannsburg)
- On-country watercolour workshops for Namatjira family and community artists
- Workshops with Central Australian schools in digital literacy and filmmaking
- Movement and storytelling workshops, as part of the national tour
- Watercolour masterclasses run by Namatjira family artists for members of the public, as part of the national tour
- Cultural exchange sessions and community BBQs, to strengthen links between communities, services and individuals.
The project and all its component activities would not be possible without the support of our partners – in particular our key project partners the Ngurratjuta Art Centre and Ntaria School – and also the many generous individuals who make up the Friends of Namatjira